Skip to main content

Competitor copied my site and built 190k backlinks

So I run an informational website purely as a hobby, just for fun of course. It doesn't generate any money (but there's real potential in the form of lead generation). I recently discovered another website that clearly copied my overall layout, article titles, sections, and site structure. Of course I don't own the design, but it's clear they were influenced by my website

I have backlinks (I never reached out to anyone) from industry professionals and journalists because they found the information on my website interesting. I looked up their website on an SEO analytics tool, and they have over 190,000 spammy backlinks in under half a year

The strange part is that... I can tell they're trying to turn it into a legitimate informational website, since they've reached out to industry professionals for articles. So this doesn't seem like some low-effort spammy website. This person is clearly putting in some elbow grease to try to... "outperform" me in an informational niche where neither of us makes money?

Anyone ever dealt with this, and what did you do? One part of me doesn't care at all, but I guess I care enough to post here and ask y'all. This is all new to me. Maybe they're trying to overtake me and then capitalize on the lead generation potential? Or who knows maybe this is just their hobby

submitted by /u/Express-Revolution34
[link] [comments]

from The SEO Authority https://ift.tt/GyX3M1U

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Local seo vs. natiowide seo?

I've done SEO for local businesses but I recently got my first client that sells an item nation wide. ​ Any suggestions for doing nationwide SEO? ​ I am used to making geopages for local towns. I was going to do the same with some input from the client about what cities or towns he would like to show up in? submitted by /u/Letmeinterviewyou [link] [comments] from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News http://bit.ly/2JHy0k0

Clients site has a weird issue with 302 redirects that I haven't seen before.

Site is in Drupal, hosted on Amazon CDN & Cloudflare. So here's a quick breakdown: The site itself works normally. It's a bit dated, but you can click on links and navigate around as you'd expect. Seeing no obvious issues, I run a Screaming Frog crawl to begin my audit. Only 5 pages were picked up by the crawl which was super weird, since all internal links are regular html and there shouldn't be any issues. So I go through the site and manually collect a bunch of URLs, which I submit to SF again as a list. Every single link bar the 5 originally crawled return a 302, with the 'redirect' pointing back to the home page. Except as I said, those pages don't browser redirect. Browser side, they work fine. I guess they redirect the crawl bot though, since the rest of the site is functionally invisible. Other tools I've looked at say that the pages return simultaneous 302 and 200s, which doesn't make too much sense. These 302s are also old enough ...